Catullus and Sappho

Catullus:
86
Many find Quintia stunning. I find her attractive:
Tall, “regal,” fair in complexion—these points are granted.
But stunning? No, I deny it: the woman is scarcely venerious,
There’s no spice at all in the length of her body!
Now Lesbia is stunning, for Lesbia’s beauty is total:
And by that sum all other women are diminished.

39
Egnatius, because he has bright white teeth,always smiles: If someone comes to the defendant'sbench, when the speaker arouses weeping,he grins; If there is weeping at the funeral pyre ofa dutiful son, when the bereaved mother laments her only son,he grins. Whatever it is, wherever he is,whatever he is doing, he grins: he has this disease,neither elegant, as I think, nor refined.Therefore I must warn you, my good Egnatius.If you were a city man or a Sabine or a Tiburnanor a thrifty Umbrian or a fat Etruscanor a swarthy or toothy Lanuvian ora Transpadane, to touch on my own people as well,or anyone you like who cleans his teeth with clean water,I still should not want you to smile on all occasions:for nothing is more silly than a silly smile.Now you are a Celtiberian: in the land of Celtiberia,whatever each man has urinated, with this he is accustomedin the morning to rub his teeth and gums until they are red,so that the more polished those teeth of yours are,the more urine they proclaim you to have drunk.

70
My woman says there is no one whom she’d rather marry
Than me, not even Jupiter, if he came courting.
That’s what she says—but what a woman says to a passionate lover
Ought to be scribbled on wind, on running water.

94
Mentula is an adulterer. Why certainly he is. How could he be anythingelse with a name such as his. It is as natural as for a pot to gather vegetables.

Excerpts from Sappho
‘Some say horsemen, some say warriors’

Some say horsemen, some say warriors,
Some say a fleet of ships is the loveliest
Vision in this dark world, but I say it’s
What you love.

It’s easy to make this clear to everyone,
Since Helen, she who outshone
All others in beauty, left
A fine husband,

And headed for Troy
Without a thought for
Her daughter, her dear parents…
Led astray….

And I recall Anaktoria, whose sweet step
Or that flicker of light on her face,
I’d rather see than Lydian chariots
Or the armed ranks of the hoplites.



‘Stand up and look at me, face to face’

Stand up and look at me, face to face
My friend,
Unloose the beauty of your eyes.....


‘Love shook my heart’

Love shook my heart,
Like the wind on the mountain
Troubling the oak-trees.


‘He’s equal with the Gods, that man’

He’s equal with the Gods, that man
Who sits across from you,
Face to face, close enough, to sip
Your voice’s sweetness,

And what excites my mind,
Your laughter, glittering. So,
When I see you, for a moment,
My voice goes,

My tongue freezes. Fire,
Delicate fire, in the flesh.
Blind, stunned, the sound
Of thunder, in my ears.

Shivering with sweat, cold
Tremors over the skin,
I turn the colour of dead grass,
And I’m an inch from dying.



Sunday, September 27, 2009

Answers to the question

1. I think Catullus gave us a slightly different way to define "how a beauty woman is" as we now do.
everybody do look through everything which is apparent, just like what Catullus described on Quintia's attractive: how tall she is or how the she looks like in particular part. But further more, he puts his" sexy formula " into his vision of love and beauty. As a man to judge a women not only by what he see, but also look insight that any phychological feeling and physical arouses that he could write down, makes the beauty woman more tasty.

2 #32 (i have to say most impressive maybe) Catullus showed us how a "naked" love could be. Without any additional word to cover his sexual urge, this could be the most effective way to show sexual needs. "My prick is poking through my cloak and tunic" which the last sentence in the paragraph best illustrate how Catullus himself is strongly thoughts of making love for the whole day.

#52 Catullus show us how jealous he could be when someone he don't like( or just he looks ugly) meets anything good. "Nonius, the growth, sits in the curule chair" . Catullus uses the simplest word to release his anger when he gets to know"such unfavourable man could be a success." so he talked to himself,"What's happening, Catullus? Why do you wait to die?" to show his most inside part emotion

#58 In this part , Catullus showed us some irony part of his poem, first part he described his best love for Lesbia "more than himself and more than all his own" but he then found out that his lover "toss-off the grandsons of the brave Remus in the street" compare to others that Catullus hates, he didn't uses any strong language on her action.


3 My personal definition of romantic love, it could be very simple: you and your lover is just as a whole. whenever you two are together, both of you are going to make it better for you to get closer in physical or mental . a good date could be a nice side dish, but the important part would be how you interact with your partner, and find out how close you two could reach. If that's the true romantic, you would feel smooth for everything you two have done, have sacrificed, have worked out and have experienced.

No comments: